Tuesday 11 September 2012

DRC LED fender light insert

 Today I got a chance to fit the DRC LED insert for the standard rear fender on the XR650R.  It is advertised here: http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/36/24/index.shtml
I found out about this one on an American online forum and it had some good reviews.  The customer service was excellent and although it took almost two weeks to arrive in Australia, I feel it was good value at $16 p&p.

The XR comes with no light in the rear fender here in Australia and Europe (stock comes with the ugly rectangular light on the chunky rego plate holder).  In the States I believe theirs comes with it working but it is intended only for off road use.

These LED's are super bright, they operate as a tail light and brake light and they plug straight in using the existing AC/DC circuit (no need for resistors etc.).  They really are a bolt on unit, as the XR has the holes already in the fender that this uses.

I have wired this in so that I can remove the rego tail light or the LED insert independently, so if I am only dirt riding I can remove the rego plate holder altogether without having to rewire.

My XR had a bit of butchering done on its wiring at some point with a switch fitted for the headlight and a few other add ons like the Vortex ignition module.  The long term plan is to totally simplify the wiring layout on the XR by using as few connector blocks as possible but also maintaining an easy disconnect system when I need to remove items.  I will eventually purchase connectors like these:








For now though it looks like this until I have saved a little more $$$$









Next mods are still in planning........


No comments:

Post a Comment